Butterfly Project

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Old Souls


This painting shown in various angles is called," Old Souls." It measures 24"x72"x1 1/2" gallery wrap, and is an acrylic on stretched canvas.

Now, the story! Some time back I made a painting called "The Travelers". In that painting which was very similar to this one, the tumbling pieces represented souls or sparks of the divine, returning to Source, or, the greater spark/light. In this painting I was suddenly overcome at midnight to make many entries to Source. So, in my jammies I began to trowel and knife in the colors of the Light. I did this in silence, moving speedily and with great purpose. I mixed the colors with a gloss gel medium to better move with the knife and blend with the long trowel. I also wanted to have the movement recorded in the painting. I worked on the "Souls" which are represented by the blue travelers, each returning to source in their own way by many pathways.


Where they get their name as Old Souls , happens as a result of the many times they have made this journey. As we sometimes note, and I might add, all cultures do, recognize that certain look in the eyes of some. We may be heard to remark, "He has the eyes of an old soul". These travel weary souls journey back to Source, some finally completing their journey some already waiting expectantly for their next trip. The Old Souls were painted to various music from the 70"s mostly, Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Cat Stevens, and yeah I even threw in some gospel from Mahalia Jackson just because I like her.
So, look and see if you see what I saw. Or, do you see something else?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

IT IS WELL, WITH MY SOUL! Love that song and love this painting. You are multi-talented with a gift from above! Blessed to be a fan, Kim t.