Butterfly Project

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Cityscape

Here is the completed painting I have been working on this week called, "Cityscape". It's an abstract impression of a city street with moving cars on the roadway showing up as white headlight and red tail lights streaming up and down the avenue. Busy night in this city! The structure of the city buildings reminds me of building blocks I used to play with as a child. Because of that I was going to call it, "City Blocks". Since I had referred to this piece in the construction phase as "Cityscape" I decided to stay with that. To view it up close you would see all the texture and natural reflections from those textures made with the knife. Those sort of things just don't show up in the photograph. It's a painting you really have to see in person to get the full impact.

6 comments:

Michele Lee said...

I'm diggin the busy night in the city. I thought I would use the word diggin because it reminds me of a song from the late 70's early80's, I think, called..."Hot Child in the City". I love the night shadows and light in this piece!

Carol ReMarks said...

Very nice. I like this one a lot.

Angela said...

Thanks ladies, I can't wait to start the next one!

Unknown said...

so the word 'underpainting' does not mean the painting under the test, but an artistic term meaning the first layer of paint ?

Oh ps....very cool

Angela said...

for me the underpainting is for shape and shade when I'm doing knife work. When the paint skips over the surface with the knife, the color underneath is similar so you don't notice the places it skipped over. Sometimes I want to show the places the paint skips over and sometimes not so much.Does that help explain it some?

Anonymous said...

Good point that bears repeating: I don't believe any tiny web photo could ever do justice to any of your paintings.

That said, I could see this one used as a very cool digital art background for a city life oriented site. The feeling of motion is wonderful. I want to rush down that boulevard and be a part of all the activity making that light in the background :)