Butterfly Project

Monday, February 14, 2011

Summer Days


Lovely new painting just off the easel called, "Summer Days". This painting is very large measuring 24"x48"x1 1/2/"gallery wrap. The medium used is all new to me. My friend Michele has a faux finishing business and had this wax polymer that she used to burnish into wood pieces. She gave me some , and curious, I thought, "Hmmm I wonder what would happen if I mixed paint with it and used the wax as a thickening medium similar to gel?" I did that. I mixed up some beautiful colors that called to me and began. I first laid an underpainting in to get placement and color composition down. Next, I got out the knives! Now you know how I love the knives! All the canvas was done by knife impasto using that wax polymer and acrylic paint. It dried hard overnight. I checked with my friend about the durability of the wax and she assures me that it is quite strong and uses it on fireplace mantles as well as other pieces of furniture. The texture is firm and a semi-gloss when dry.

No comments: