Butterfly Project

Sunday, January 16, 2011

New Painting, Crescendo




This painting I did last week. Another friend and I were working in the studio, she with her project of mixed media and I with another knifed abstract. I started this painting not knowing at all where it was going. With some rather calm music I scumbled in the colors I wanted to use , putting down an underpainting. I felt drawn to those colors even though they are not my usual color palette. When I was sure about the color combination I got excited. I knew I was going to get the knives out. As the excitement in me grew, the music changed and built up, escalating into an explosion of musical notes. I began applying the various paint selections following some internal rhythm.
When I put the last of the paint on, finishing all that I had mixed, I felt a release. The music ended and I knew the painting was nearing completion. Now, all that remained was the musical notes that threw me into this frenzy!. The notes, the black and yellow droplets, are high gloss latex and glisten when the light strikes them, standing out just like they did in my minds eye during the music. Well, the music now was calm again and then I realized what this whole painting was, the crescendo! So, that's what it is called, " Crescendo", 30"x30"x1 1/2" gallery wrap.

No comments: