Butterfly Project

Sunday, July 24, 2011

The Tired Angel


This painting is now complete. May I introduce, "The Tired Angel". 12"x24"x1 1/2" gallery wrap acrylic on canvas with a 3D effect made with a product put out by Liquitex called moldeling paste. It's VERY sticky and difficult to work with.
Here's the story of this angels birth:
A fellow artist at the Gallery had made a 3D painting and had used this product and it intrigued me. Then, another artist at the Gallery, a potter, had me construct and hand build a clay project. If you go back a few post to my lotus flower posting you will get the story on that. All that to say that those two artists inspired me to work with my hands on a painting in a three dimensional way that I had not previously tried. Next inspiration came from a client who wanted me to teach her how to paint angels. I had done three mock up paintings of different style angels and was getting quite tired of them when God said, " Ange, why don't you just paint a tired angel then." So I turned my canvas sideways and did just that. I laid her down and made her 3D, just as all those inspiring moments came together to form and birth one little angel. I pulled out the areas closest to you in the modeling paste, painted them, then some of them were lightly sanded.
So there you have it..

No comments: