Butterfly Project

Saturday, January 10, 2009

The Jazz Singer Series

Let me introduce you to Billie Holiday, a woman who has all but possesed me this past week. I felt a strong desire to get to know her and this was the result, The Jazz Singer, series. This first painting is called simply, The Jazz Singer.
I was listening to Billie Holiday sing while painting this one and finished her on the song, Stars Fell on Alabama, so that's her name here, Stars Fell on Alabama.

This painting portrays an older, heavier, yet somehow wiser Billie. She really knows the blues now, so this one is entitled, Lady Sings The Blues.


Billie
I ended this series with this front on portrait of Ms, Holiday, and call it simply, Billie.
That's it, I hope you all enjoy this series, I know that I got imense pleasure from paintng it.
If you would like to have any of these paintings or the collection in whole, just let me know, we'll work out the details.




3 comments:

Michele Lee said...

I am simply blown away! How big is each one? I love the style you did them in. It has a little art deco flair to it. What a wonderful series for a Billie Holliday collector.
I am so amazed that you can go from abstract to Billie in the blink of an eye. The Art festivals better look out this coming year!

Jody said...

My mind is exploding!! I love these so much! Billie Holiday is one of my favorite singers. I just love these!

Awesome awesome awesome!

Angela said...

Hi Michele,
Sizes: The Jazz Singer is 16"x16"
Stars Fell on Alabama is 16"x12"
Lady Sings the Blues is 18"x24"
Billie is 16"x20"