Butterfly Project

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Band of Angels

I had some fun putting this painting together. It's done in layers. The first is the texture layer. I used some tissue paper to get a roughened feel. Inspired by my friend at the Gallery who just happened to do a painting using this same technique. I applied the tissued with the same color background color of paint that you see here. It's a mottled beige. Next I did the edges, (oh so boring, I know) but the sequence must be told. Then came then actual angel bodies. I hung the painting on my studio wall to work on upright for this. Working rather quickly, I put in the head, then the body color. Next I outlined the body here and there and sprayed it over-all with a rather generous spray of water and let the magic happen! I chose the next angel colors and did the same process again on down the line untill all nine angels were painted. Lastly came the wings, an outline and a mist. Finally when all was dry, a nice coat of varnish was applied.
This piece brings me so much joy when I look at it, I can't express how thrilled inside it makes me feel. I wonder who will end up with this painting? You know, it's always interesting to see just who connects with a painting in just that special way.

No comments: